Recording from dorsal roots - problems...

Danny Banks D.Banks at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 21:42:50 EST 1993

In article <2bb73s$47q at bigboote.WPI.EDU>, pkhalsa at wpi.WPI.EDU (Partap S Khalsa) writes:
|> In article <1993Nov3.224158.26720 at ee.surrey.ac.uk> D.Banks at ee.surrey.ac.uk (Danny Banks) writes:

[stuff deleted]

|> I have done a modest
|> amount of recording from mechanoreceptors in dorsal roots (cats).

[stuff deleted]

|>   As such, I'm sceptical of using an implantable electrode to obtain clean
|> recordings.

Metal wire microelectrodes have been implanted and used to record single unit
signals from freely moving animals over a period of time (Prochazka et al,
1976; Loeb et al, 1977; Loeb et al 1985 - I got a few more, but just grabbed
those outta my files). If I recall correctly from my reading, these are
insulated metal wires; the tips are trimmed to make a recording site, and
inserted into the dorsal root ganglia (Loeb et al), or sometimes the "dorsal
root bundles just proximal to the ganglion" (Prochazka et al). They are then
adjusted until single unit signals can be distinguished.

Sharpened metal wire electrodes have also been used to record single unit
activity in man (Knutsson & Widen, 1967; Hagbarth & Vallbo, 1969; Vallbo,
1972 - another 3 just pulled outta tyhe files for examples). Again, if I
recall correctly, these electrodes were inserted into the nerves of waking
human subjects, and adjusted until single unit impulses could be seen.

I'm afraid that I don't have much of the literature on this subject.