Modeling *Biological* Mechanisms

Hugh Spinks - CCC hughs at ascc01.ascc.att.com
Sat Nov 6 20:25:57 EST 1993

After scanning hundreds of network newsgroup exchanges
including those for "neuroscience" and visiting countless
ftp sites, I can find virtually no references to neuronal
modeling emphasizing biological mechanism(s) rather
than artifical implementations (neural nets, generally).

I'm interested in using computational methods to probe the
"inner workings" of single neurons (or small nets of neurons).
I'm more interested in using machines to understand biological
mechanisms than using biological models to build machines.
(Certainly the two approaches *can* be complimentary!)

Why are there so few materials and discussions on this topic? Is
it because the problem is too poorly understood or because the results
are not expected to be worth the required effort?

(I do have copies of texts by Ronald MacGregor that cover issues in
neural modeling.)

Thanks for your input.

E-mail: hughs at ascc.att.com

Hugh Spinks
AT&T Advanced Software Construction Center
Cary, N.C.  27511
USA