Habituation and Conditioning

Harry Erwin erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com
Mon Nov 15 08:50:52 EST 1993

In article <9311142107.AA28283 at xray1.cshl.org>
anderson at CSHL.ORG (John Anderson) writes:
>>   On the
>>   other hand, if the stimulus is attended to, so that the post-synaptic side
>>   is depolarized to some degree, conditioning occurs.

Bliss and Collingridge discuss the mechanism of ltp in 'A synaptic model
of memory: long-term potentiation in the hippocampus,' Nature, 361:31-39,
7 January 1993. 'Attending to a stimulus' appears to involve a process of
conditioning with one of the simultaneous stimuli being the afferent
sensory data stream and the other being a reafferent stream of impulses from
the cortex. This results in near-simultaneous signals arriving at the neuron
so that the sensory data stream encounters postsynaptic terminals that have
been depolarized by the reafferent data stream from the cortex. (I hope I
got the terminology right.) If the stimulus is not attended to,
habituation results instead.
--
Harry Erwin
Internet: erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com