Habituation and Conditioning

David Brockman Wheeler dwheeler at leland.Stanford.EDU
Wed Nov 17 15:06:00 EST 1993

erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) wites:
>When an afferent stimulus is repeated, but not attended to, the synapses
>involved habituate. This occurs on the presynaptic side and appears to
>involve depletion of Ca++ in the extracellular fluid at the synapse.

Do you have refs for this? I would think it is more likely to involve pre-
synaptic mechanisms such as vesicle depletion, desensitization of the release
machinery or downregulation of Ca++ entry pathways (eg autoreceptor feedback
inhibition of HVA Ca++ channels.

David B. Wheeler
MD/PhD year 3/8+
Stanford Med