undergrad psych students needed for conference

Joel Shenker jshenker at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:52:30 EST 1993

I am inviting any undergraduate students who have taken psychology
classes to make a presentation at a conference on the teaching of
psychology.  I am looking forward to hearing from a variety of
undergraduates from different backgrounds and institutions ASAP.

If you have access to any college or university department of psychology,
please post the notice below so that undergraduate psych students can
read it. Please also relay this to any people who are likely to have
access to undergraduates in psychology--psychology graduate students,
faculty, or undergraduate advisors.

If you are not formally allied to a college or university department of
psychology, perhaps you could contact one in your area to relay to them
the note below.

Thanks in advance.

**********************  CALL FOR PRESENTERS  ***************************

I am inviting undergraduate psychology students to make a presentation
to an upcoming conference on the teaching of psychology.

This January, the 16th Annual National Institute on the Teaching of
Psychology will convene in St. Petersburgh Beach, Florida.  At that
meeting, I am moderating a panel discussion called "What they really
perceive:  Student perspectives on the teaching of psychology."  I am
inviting any undergraduates, especially those who have taken several
courses in psychology, who will already be in or near Tampa Bay, Florida
on January 4, 1994 to join me on the panel for this session.

Being a panel member will not require much time.  You would speak
informally for a few minutes at the beginning of the session, discussing a
few points that you want the audience to hear.  After all panelists have
spoken, the audience of psychology instructors will then ask questions to
hear your opinions on whatever concerns they have.  The session is
scheduled for the evening of Tuesday, January 4.  The people attending
this conferences come from high schools, community colleges, 4-year
colleges, and major universities from around the country, bringing a
genuine desire to learn to improve their teaching of psychology.  Thus,
conferees are welcoming, relaxed, interested in others' ideas, and fun to
work with.

If you want to participate, I want to talk with you soon to chat informally,
suggest some ideas about what you could discuss on the panel, and agree
upon the points that you would make in your brief presentation.  At some
later time we would also talk again to practice and rehearse so that you will
be prepared for the actual meeting in January.

If you have taken psychology courses, then you have perspectives on what
you liked and disliked.  It is important to understand that the good and bad
things that may seem obvious to you as a student are not always obvious to
your teachers.  These kinds of insights, especially as they relate to the
teaching of psychology, are among the things I am hoping the panel can
explore and discuss.  For example, many psychology classes involve
activities that use temporary deception--how does this make students feel
and does it create attitudes about psychology teachers different from those
about other teachers?  Are there topics within psychology that students
especially want to have addressed or not addressed?  Are there teaching
methods that are especially well-suited (or ill-suited) for psychology in
particular?

Whatever you choose to discuss, this is an opportunity to participate in a
psychology conference, think some smart and interesting psychology
thoughts, and add a nice activity to your job applications or applications
for other educational pursuits (e.g. graduate school). It will also help
perpetuate something that deserves to be done well--the competent and
productive teaching of undergraduate psychology.

If you are interested, please contact me immediately by any of the following
methods: (1) send me electronic mail at jshenker at s.psych.uiuc.edu , (2)
call me at (217) 333-8875, or (3) send U.S. mail for me to the
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign,
603 E. Daniel, Champaign, IL 61820.

Thanks.

Joel Shenker

Beckman Institute and Department of Psychology