Habituation and Conditioning

jerwin at antioch.edu jerwin at antioch.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:57:21 EST 1993

In article <1993Nov21.080451.56374 at gmuvax>, cs103_03 at gmuvax writes:>
> Actually, I've seen a couple of theories on this. The books are at the office,
> but Dowling proposes the Ca++ depletion theory. The problem is that habituation
> is supposed to be a reaction to a lack of response on the postsynaptic side.
> That requires either a messenger or a difference in the chemical environment
> (i.e., Ca++ depletion and non-replenishment). I'm beginning to suspect that
> all synapses habituate in the short-term, and short-term potentiation increases
> the sensitivity of the post-synaptic side enough to overcome the habituation.
> Cheers,
>   Harry Erwin herwin at cs.gmu.edu
>   (Don't try my TRW address; management has shut down internet
>    access to avoid violation of the Government procurement regs.)
Is this related to the calpain-calcium theory of memory, in which calcium
can stimulate fodrin degradation and thus change the "architecture" or
"shape" of the post synaptic areas?
I don't have the article, but it was written by Lynch and Baudry, titled
"The Biochemistry of Memory: A New and Specific Hypothesis" and was
published in a 1984 issue of Science.
I am wondering if this work was expanded upon, or disproven as a general
hypothesis.
Jeremy Erwin
Antioch College