psychoneuroimmunology

SAC14 at psuvm.psu.edu SAC14 at psuvm.psu.edu
Sun Nov 28 15:37:28 EST 1993

I am writing an article about firewalking as practiced by people in the US.
These folks walk on hot wood coals without burning their feet. Psychoneuro-
immunology is offered as a possible source for explaining the phenomenon. Can
anyone out there help me with this? I understand that people have differing
tolerances for pain; that callouses, perspiration, and lack of sustained
contact may play a role; and so on. But PNI is held up by some as holding
some answers. Is there any research indicating that a person's mind can
work with the body to not only prevent pain but to prevent the physical burn
itself?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
Bird