Perivascular dendrites of Raphe nuclei

Jason Dean Becker jdbecker at acs.ucalgary.ca
Mon Nov 29 18:21:12 EST 1993

In preparing for a neuroanatomy lab I teach I came across the
following information in THE HUMAN BRAIN COLORING BOOK regarding
the raphe nuclei:

"...[there is a] close relationship between their dendrites and
the small blood vessels intertwining among them. It is
conceivable that serotonin synthesis may be controlled or
triggered (or both) by substances circulating in the blood and
'sensed' by the perivascular dendrites of these raphe group
neurons."

Does anybody know the specific reference to which the authors are
alluding?

Thanks in advance.

Jason Becker
jdbecker at acs.ucalgary.ca