Neuroscience Primer?

Susan F Volman svolman at
Wed Apr 6 22:45:19 EST 1994

In article <CnsM8K.Ao9 at>,
Scott A. Oakman  <oakma001 at> wrote:
>In article <2nf55q$ibp at> William Calvin,
>wcalvin at suggests as a neuroscience resource:
>> Gordon M. Shepherd, The Synaptic Organization of the Brain, 3rd
>> edition (Oxford University Press 1990).
>Gordon Shepherd also wrote an elementary neurobiology text that is fairly
>good, if someone is looking for a readable introduction to neuroscience.
>It's written such that a competent biology undergrad should be able to
>follow it all, I think.
>Is Shepherd's _Neurobiology_ still in print?

I just got an ad today from Oxford for the new edition.  It has an
interactive software companion as well.

I'd like to ask if anyone has examined this book yet.  I tried teaching
from the 2nd edition a few years ago (upper level survey course
in Neurobiology for biology undergrads, mostly).  I liked the coverage of
the book -- it's written for biologists, not pre-meds (much to their
dismay).  But I found it appallingly full of errors, and it covered basic
neurophys. in a rather slapdash manner.  The errors were mostly small ones,
but I got tired of telling the class that e.g. "agonist" should
be "antagonist", etc.  It also meant I had to read every word, and
anything I didn't know for sure, I had to check somewhere else.  On the
other hand, it is extremely readable, and I'd really like to give it another
chance, so I'm hoping this edition is better edited.

   | Susan Volman		svolman at  |
   | Department of Zoology/OSU		 	   (614) 292-0423  |
   | 1735 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43210       FAX (614) 292-2030  |