Leslie Kay lmk2 at
Mon Apr 25 13:06:09 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.05.9404251022.D6656-a100000 at>,
Steven Roy Daviss <sdaviss at COSY.AB.UMD.EDU> wrote:
>If you add 3 evolutionally-newer cortical layers on top of the 3-layered
>paleocortex, you get 6 layers--with the old layer I becoming the new layer

except that if you look at the transition cortex and the histology,
the three layers appear to be "added" to the deep end, thus preserving
the superficial layers.  But perhaps it is really too simplistic to look at
the different types of cortex as having evolved from each other,
as Susan Volman pointed out.

Leslie Kay
lmk2 at