Hemispheric Dominance

alex taylor ataylor at superior.carleton.ca
Tue Aug 9 21:58:19 EST 1994

In article <starinCuALBK.BJ4 at netcom.com>,
Jeffrey Starin <starin at netcom.com> wrote:
>Would anyone know of a simple test to determine which hemisphere of the
>brain is dominant?  I understand that handedness does not always
>correspond to it's *opposite* side to prove hemispheric dominance.

          For task specific questions, sodium amytal injections into
the carotid artery have been used by D. Kimura and others. PET
scanners have also been used. None of these are really simple, or
without some risk to the subject, however. As far as I am aware
there is no general simple way to determine overall hemispheric dominance.
Generally hemispheric dominance seems to be assessed with respect to a
specific cognitive function (eg. language, handedness, visual
processing).