Inhibition and Maturation

matt spitzer mwspitze at
Wed Aug 10 00:20:11 EST 1994

In article <31tcp8$sl1 at>, herwin at (HARRY R.
ERWIN) wrote:

> 3. Anxiety often becomes milder during adolescence as the nervous system
> (particularly the GABAergic component) matures.

Whoa there!  Don't you think that making inferences about mental states
from data on cellular functions of GABA receptors is a bit of a cognitive

Also, the changes that have been documented in GABA mediated psps take
place in the first post-natal week in rats.  I don't know how maturation in
humans correlates with that in rats, but I'd guess that the developmental
events we are talking about would probably be taking place during infancy
or prenatally.