Ear Lobe

Foot C footc at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 20:12:04 EST 1994

In article <246_9408220003 at gastro.apana.org.au>,
terrys at gastro.apana.org.au (Terry Smith) writes:

Terry

Thanks for your responses. You definitely brought up some good points.

>As an aside, and not meaning to flame, but if your intention is
>to postulate a mechanism by which reflexology `works', wouldn't
>you be better off establishing that it _does_ first?

Actually the Japanese are doing some great metabolic testing using
pressure to the bottom of the feet. Quite clever.

You really can't start without a hypothesis can you ? If you are asking
whether it works. It does. Not all the time and not for everything. But it
does work or I (nor for that fact millions of others) would not have
pursued it for the many years that we have.

But we aren't looking for faith. We have seen too much to imply that it
can't be tested and should be tested. We are just trying to learn how to
test it.

Pressure to the bottom of the feet does have an action on the ANS. Can
that change the health of the body? When I was doing a summer job my
employer was tortured (WWII) by having him stand on his feet for 24 hours.
The health problems still followed him after all those years.

The reason for the question on the ear lobe has to do with a study on PMS
and reflexology (doubleblinded). We had problems with the study because it
included auricular therapy. The results were above placebo but less then
the relaxation response. The authors mentioned the ear lobe as being
somatotopic. We didn't know if it is but your answer does seem to indicate
that.

Some say we are being a bit hypercritical of the study. But frankly I
wouldn't be in business if I got less than a relaxation response. But then
again blinded studies don't come along everyday.

I do think that the ear, feet and hands should be tested seperately to see
what actually cause the action. Thanks for your food for thought.