PhD position in neuroethology

Dirk Kautz kautz at tyto.mpik-tueb.mpg.de
Mon Aug 29 07:53:31 EST 1994

A position for a graduate student in neurobiology is immediately available
at the Zoologisches Institut, Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Germany.
Funding is provided by the Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft.
The annual salary is about DM 24,000.

We are a small team with good international connections.  Our research
interest lies in the understanding of the mechanisms underlying prey
capture in the barn owl.  Barn owls use both their visual and auditory
senses for locating prey.  We study representations of both sounds and
visual stimuli in the brain on the experimental and theoretical level.
The project of the graduate student will be concerned with depth vision
in barn owls.  It is known that barn owls have neurons that vary their
response as a function of disparity (Wagner and Frost, Nature 364: 796
(1993); Wagner and Frost, J comp Physiol A174: 661-670)), but it is not
known whether the owl utilizes this information in behavior.  As a starting
point we want to show stimuli (random-dot stereograms and autostereograms)
to the owl that have a figure hidden in a wide-field background.
Experiments might finally lead to a theory of stereovision in barn owls
that could be compared with theories of stereo vision in other animals
including humans.

The successful applicant should love to work with animals and should
preferably have some experience with systems theory and computer
programming (UNIX, C).

Interested students may contact
Dr. Hermann Wagner, Institut fuer Zoologie, TU Muenchen,
Lichtenbergstrasse 4, D-85747 Garching,
Tel. +49  (089) 32093667, Fax: +49 (089) 32093674
or send e-mail to: Wagner at tyto.mpik-tueb.mpg.de