Gross & Micro anatomy of the neural system...

Michael Hucka hucka at krusty.eecs.umich.edu
Mon Aug 29 04:07:39 EST 1994

>>>>> On 21 Aug 1994, ming at regulus.biology.ucla.edu (Minghsun Liu) said:

  ming> I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good reference for
  ming> understanding how nerve cells are related at the gross and micro
  ming> anatomically level.  Specifically, I am wondering what happens,
  ming> cellularlly, when different nerves merges into one at the gross
  ming> anatomically level.  Furthermore, how the signals from different
  ming> nerves are interprete by the brain to obtain the exact location where
  ming> the sensation is.

I would recommend looking at the book

   Principles of Neural Science, 3rd ed.
   Kandel, Schwartz, & Jessell
   Elsevier 1991

It's an introductory text that covers a lot of ground and should answer most
of your questions.  If you need somewhat more detail, check out

  Neurobiology, 3rd ed.
  Gordon Shepherd
  Oxford, 1994

This one is somewhat harder to read if you don't have a biology background.

Hope this helps,
Mike
--
-- Mike Hucka
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.