brain scans on musicians???

Mark Wildman mark at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za
Wed Aug 31 09:33:11 EST 1994

In article <1702114B07S86.BFANTIE at american.edu> BFANTIE at american.edu writes:

>Jim Gardner (jim at demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: I'm a composer with a layperson's interest in neuroscience. Does anyone
>: out there happen to know if there have ever been, or are to be, brain
>: scans of any kind carried out on musicians while performing, listening to,
>: learning or imagining music?
>
>The late Justine Sergent of McGill University also published some interesting
>articles on functional brain imaging and musicians.

One of these which may be of particular interest was published last year in
Trends in Neuroscience. Here's the reference, mail me if you can't get it and
I'll send a copy.

Sergent, J. Music, the brain and Ravel. 1993. TINS 16(5):168-172.

Mark Wildman
Dept Physiology
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg, S Africa.