Brain Injury

David Anderson danderso at u.washington.edu
Fri Dec 2 13:50:24 EST 1994

I'm a fellow in neuropathology and I might be able to provide some
information regarding generic brain injury.  I think it unlikely that a
lesion which has existed for ten years (resulting from his accident)
would respond to therapeutic measures at this point.  In general, lesions
resulting from trauma resolve over the course of months (or sometimes
years) depending on the placement and severity of the injury, but there
should have been some improvement before this time if indeed the lesion
were resolving.

The second point, which may be the most important, is that he should have
a thorough neurologic exam including a brain imaging study.  We often see
patients (after death) in which we find another cause for their clinical
symptoms which was not suspected while they were still alive.  It would
be a tragedy for this gentleman to have a treatable illness which has
thusfar been attributed to his accident.  Although it seems likely that
his symptoms are related to his accident, you really don't know for sure
until you look.

Dave Anderson