Maximum usable range for stereopsis?

Michael Hucka hucka at eecs.umich.edu
Tue Dec 6 23:43:32 EST 1994

This seems like a dumb question to have to ask, but I was unable to find a
solid answer in the several psychology and vision texts that I have on hand.

What is the maximum range of distances over which binocular disparity alone
can deliver reasonably accurate distance information?

I mean this for the case of a human viewing typical, natural scenes.  Some
old notes of mine say that 20 feet is the max distance for which stereopsis
can be used, but I have no idea where this figure came from and would like to
find better evidence.
--
   Mike Hucka (michael.hucka at umich.edu)
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.