polylysine buffer

Charles E. Weaver wheat at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 8 09:44:44 EST 1994

In article <pataky-2911941510090001 at steevlab.generes.ca>,
pataky at bcu.ubc.ca (Dave Pataky) wrote:

> Hey neuron culturists,

We regularly culture rat hippocampus and cortex on polylysine coated
plates.  We desolve the polylysine in sterile water at a concentration of
0.1 mg/ml.  We place enough of this solution in a culture well to totally
cover the bottom and let it sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours.  We
then rinse the plates one time  with sterile water.  We use no futher
treatments with good results.  We also culture chick cortex and spinal
cord, and for these cultures we coat the plates with rat tail collagen.

An important bit of advice....All plastic culture plates are not created
equal!!!    Using the polylysine coating method I describe works really
well on nunc plates with the delta surface treatment.  I have tried the
same coating method on other plates falcon, millipore, and have had
disasterous results..clumpy cells that lift off of the plates.

|| ||
|| ||
\\^//   Charles E.Weaver
\\^//   Boston University School of Medicine    Phone (617)638-5323