Cloning nerve cells

Peter Laudrup plaudrup at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Dec 8 08:35:34 EST 1994

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.941124223857.16997A-100000 at gladstone>,
Robert Dean Williams  <bobcat at gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>    I am doing some research on application of new nerve cells.  Is
>there any information about cloning nerve cells or making artificial
>nerves?  The reason I would like to know is the possibility of replacing
>damaged nerves with new cloned cells or artificial cells.  Let me know if
>there are some research going on with this subject.
>
>Thanks...Robert.

Prior to the Society of Neuroscience annual meeting in Miami a couple of weeks
ago I received a pamflet with the following information:
'First Human neurons produced in vitro:
Stratagene has introcued the first terminally differntiated, postmitotic human
central nerovus system cells to be produced in large quantities in teh
laboratory. These hNT neurons are derived from Ntera2/D1 (NT2) committed
neuronal precursor cells via a 6- to 8-week process that includes treatment
with retinoic acid and mitotic inhibitors ...
'Unlimited quantities of these human neurons are now available, eliminationg
the need to obtain scare human primary tissue'

Numbers are:
Stratagene
phone: 800 424 5444
fax: 619 5400 0045
e-mail: tech_service at stratagene.com

Hope that will help you

Peter Laudrup
Visiting Scholar

Ohio State University
College of Pharmacy                Phone: +1 614 292 1859
500 W 12th Ave #520                Fax: +1 614 292 9083
Columbus, OH-43210                 E-mail: laudrup at osu.edu