Minimum exposure time?

Frank Haist haist at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 9 16:48:50 EST 1994

>>hucka at eecs.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) writes:
>>I've been trying to determine what is the minimum presentation time of a
>>visual stimulus that will allow a human observer to extract *some*
>>information. <<snip>>

You might look into the work of Seamon, Brody, and Marsh from about
1984.  There are two or three relevant papers that came out in
Jour Exp Psych: Learning, Mem, & Cog. or in JEP: General.  One of
their studies examined exposure time on affective discriminations
and recognition.  Affective discimination effects  for 8-sided polygons
occurred after exposures as low a 1 ms.  If I'm not mistaken, effects
on recognition memory did not emerge until the exposure duration
reached a minimum of 8 ms.  Many studies have found affective
discrimination effects at exposures of 1 ms.  Hope this helps.

*  Frank Haist, Ph.D.        *   Once in a while you get shown the *
*  Cognitive Science Dept.   *    light in the strangest of places *
*  UC San Diego              *    if you look at it right!         *
*  haist at cogsci.ucsd.edu     *                --Hunter/Garcia      *