dizziness

Jeffrey Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:25:27 EST 1994

In article <171310Z11121994 at anon.penet.fi>, an162263 at anon.penet.fi says:

>A big problem for me is that I often get very dizzy. It occurs when I'm
>under physical strain, walking up two stairs can sometimes be enough
>(I have normal blood pressure). The worst thing is that loud sounds or
>many sounds at the same time (e.g at a restaurant) also makes me dizzy.
>
>Are there any pills against dizziness ?
>I'm grateful for any response you might have.

Dizziness can be descibed in two ways:

1. Lightheadness, the feeling that one gets when standing up too fast.
   This is usually related to blood pressure, blood sugar levels, state
   of arrousal, etc.  It is hard to diagnose and pin-point.

2. Vertigo, the visual perception that the world is spinning, often
    characterized as either the world spinning around the subject, or the
    subject spinning around.

These are obviously 2 different symptoms, but they are often called
dizziness.  If you suspect you have some form of vertigo, it would be
advantageous for you to visit an Ears, Nose, and Throat physician and
request an electronystagmograph (ENG) which monitors the type of eye-
movement that can cause vertigo.  Keep in mind that vertigo is a brain
and ear regualted symptom.

Jeff Sirianni
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders