What happened to Phineas Gage?

David Baldwin 503-686-2598 dbaldwin at decoy.uoregon.edu
Mon Dec 26 00:47:05 EST 1994

In article <3dl8p3$l7q at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, RVAllen <rvallen at aol.com> wrote:

>I am writing a paper for school on the phenomenon of Phineas Gage and I
>was wondering if anyone knows exactly WHERE the brain damage occurred and
>what areas were responsible for his behavioral deficits.  What is the area
>in a human brain that corresponds to area 46 of a monkey?  I have found a
>few articles attributing similar deficits in monkeys to lesions of the
>principle sulcus and area 46, but I am having trouble associating these
>areas with Gage's brain.  Thank you so much for your help!

I don't know about area 46, but there are two references you want, and both
are fairly recent:

Damasio, Grabowksi, Frank, Galaburda, & Damasio (1994)
   The return of Phineas Gage: clues about the brain from the skull
   of a famous patient.
   Science, 264, 1102-1105

Damasio, A. (1994)
   Descartes' Error: emotion, reason and the human brain.
   New Yrok: Grosset/Putnam.

Hope this helps...

                                 david