Hydrocephalus pt. w/120 IQ?

D.J. Stehouwer steh at webb.psych.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:08:01 EST 1994

In article <2ilmeh$lq2 at bigblue.oit.unc.edu> dmmckali at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (David Mckalip) writes:
>In article <1994Jan31.232854.2978 at news.yale.edu>,
>Yukiharu Hadeishi <YHADEISH at biomed.med.yale.edu> wrote:
>>A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about "an Englishman who had an
>>above average IQ and no brain."  I told him he might have been thinking about
>
>....>head was almost entirely filled with CSF.  His ventricles had compressed
>his >cortex into a 1 mm thick layer, according to the prof.
>>
>....>anybody save the post?  And did it have citations?  Any help would bek

I don't know how frequently hydrocephalics do as well as suggested in this
article, but the reference for the article to which you are referring is:

Lewin, R.  (1980) Is your brain really necessary?  *Science, 210,* 1232-1234.

Lewin did not do any of the work himself, but is simply reporting on the
observations and speculations of Dr. John Lorber, a professor of pediatrics at
Sheffield University in England.

DJS