Hearing - up to date theories?

Andrew Lea andrew at hobbes.hip.atr.co.jp
Wed Feb 2 13:33:27 EST 1994

<CK5ByM.H49 at brunel.ac.uk> asks:
>I am trying to find out about up to date theories of
>hearing and cognition. There does not seem to be much
>information around (here).. does anyone have any pointers.

A good introduction to the psychology of hearing is Brain Moore's book "An
introduction to he psychology of hearing", 3rd Edition, Academic Press.

For the physiology of hearing read J. Pickles's book on oddly enough "The physiology
of hearing".

>Is hearing less well studied and understood than vision?

Well yes and no, but mainly yes.

One huge problem with hearing is that it is not vision. Have you ever heard the
phrase "seeing is believing" ? This is also true in the hearing research field.

We have to be able to see sounds and speech to be able to understand them. In the
visual field the stimuli are already in the right domain, thus making understanding
easier.

A lot of research in hearing at the moment looks at making so-called "auditory
images", i.e. useful visual representations of sound and sound processing.

Another thing about sound is that it is transparent, i.e. there are two sounds
present at the same time then what the ear gets is the sum of the two sounds. But,
in the visual world two objects do add together, but stay spatially separate.

One recent new theory in the psychology of hearing is that of "Auditory Scene
Analysis" or cocktail party processing, expounded by Al Bregman and others.
See Al's book "Auditory Scene Analysis" in MIT press (1990).

This is basically a theory of how we separate the many sounds that we hear
simultaneously into different perceptual units.

Hope this helps Dave.

If you have any more questions........

Dr. Andy Lea		(andrew at hip.atr.co.jp)
ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories,
2-2 Hikaridai, Seika-cho, Soraku-gun, Kyoto 619-02, Japan.
Tel. + 81 7749 51026		Fax. +81 7749 51008