clinical genetics of psychiatry

M. William Lensch Lensch at chop.edu
Thu Feb 3 17:09:36 EST 1994

In article <16F52119D3.YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW>, YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW
wrote:

> From: YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.gene-linkage
> Subject: clinical genetics of psychiatry
> Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 19:33:18 GMT
>
> I am a clinical psychiatrist and interested in the genetics of psychiatric diso
> rders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and Alzheimer's disease. I would
> like to initiate a collaborative study with a lab working on molecular genetics
> . I don't know what should I do first clinically and how could I persuade a lab
>  reaearcher that I have interesting samples and deserve further study?
>
> In my country, the field of psychiatric genetics is still doubted by most psych
> iatrists, but most of them also addmit psychiatric patients with family history
> are frequently seen. How could I initiate a small projet to verify that schizop
> hrenia, bipolar disorder or Alzheimer's disease is somewhat a genetic disease i
> n this small country. (Although I know this issue has been repeadly studied wor
> ldwide) I realy hope someone would give me a guide to initiate this kind of pro
> gram, just a small initiation. Otherwise, we will keep blind and fearful to thi
> s area. For this weak point, most psychiatrists here are ambivalant embarassed
> in faceing questions relating to the genetics of psychiatric disorders.
> Any information will be greatly appreciated.
>

> CHEN-JEE HORNG, M.D.
> DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
> VETERANS GENERAL HOSPITAL-TAIPEI
> TAIPEI, TAIWAN, R.O.C.
> E-MAIL: YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.EDU.TW
> FAX: 886-2-8742441

Dr. Horng,

		There is a physician at University of Utah, Dept. of Psychiatry (Salt
Lake City, Utah U.S.A.) named Bill Bierly who is currently studying the
molecular genetics of schizophrenia. Give him a call. I'm sure you can find
a phone number for him as I do not have one. (He is a psychiatrist.)