neuroprosthesis

Edwin R. Yeh ery2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Sat Feb 5 14:06:58 EST 1994

In a previous article, dmmckali at gibbs.oit.unc.edu (David Mckalip) says:

>Is there any ongoing work a CWR on diaphragm pacing?  I am currently
>caring for 16 year old with complete C-2 quadriplegia secondary to a
>cervical spine injury.  She is completely ventilator-dependant.  She is
>only about two weeks out from her injury and may recover some function but
>I doubt it.  The literature is encouraging and I am considering venturing
>into this in the future.
>
>David McKalip
>Division of Neurosurgery
>UNC-Chapel Hill
>Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Currnetly there's a on-going research project that may be
related to what you refereed to as diaphragm pacing.

You may wish to send Dr. Mortimer (Dir. of Applied Neural Control),
who is the primary investigator of the project, an e-mail (sorry,
I don't have his address at hand.) A good friend of mine, Harish Aiyar
< hxa14 at po.cwru.edu > and his colleague Brian Schmit < bds at po.cwru.edu >
are the two grad. students working on the project. I suggest that you
send them a note to learn about the specifics of what they are doing.