Hyperinnervation of cerebral blood vessels and CBF; Question.

Jerry Clayton claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
Thu Feb 10 01:24:38 EST 1994

> Newsgroups: bionet.general,bionet.neuroscience

ANON,
A very interesting question.  As neurobiologists poke around in the brain
with growth factors etc. we must remain acutely aware of the possible
non-specific effects of these compounds on the nervous system.

I don't know the literature in this area but can offer a few unsupported
thoughts on the subject.  One would think that increased sympathetic
innervation of cerebral blood vessels would result in increased vascular
tone.  This in turn could result in changes in cerebral blood flow/press.
However, could it be possible that innervation changes of this sort
would make the system just more sensitive to regulatory control.  I guess
it depends on how much of the normal tone is the result of symapthetic
signaling.  VERY INTERESTING!  Certainly well worth studying in my
opinion.  What do you think?

Jerry Clayton:		claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
(Univ. of Colo. Health Sci. Center; Denver, Colorado)