Brain Slicers

Brian S Fletcher bsf651 at huxley.anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 11 01:22:55 EST 1994

<ashton at binfc1.jrf.be> writes:

>Hello,
>I have been making hippocampal slices with a McIlwain tissue chopper
>for several years. People tell me that better and more consistent
>slices can be made with a Vibrotome. I see that Microslicers and
>Rotorslicers are also now available for this purpose. Is there
>anybody out there who has used these different techniques and
>would like to advise me which is the best?
>Many Thanks!!

>David Ashton.

Hey David

I have been doing my honours this past year and have been doing the majority
of the work on brain slices (well, actually, the hippocampal section of a
slice but same thing really).  We have a Campden Instruments Vibroslicer and
routinely cut 100 micron thick slices on it quite easily.  Mind you I have
done LOTS of slices and I do remember it being frustrating at first but so
is every new technique.  If you want to know a little more about it then
email me, okay??

Hope it helps...

Brian Fletcher
Protein Dynamics Unit