Sensory pathways to the neocortex

John Anderson in Anderson Lab anderson at phage.cshl.org
Sat Feb 12 10:29:06 EST 1994

"I. Reichova" <reichi at zoncna.ibp.cz> writes:

>             does anybody of you know about other pathways, if they ever exist,
>for sensory information flow to the neocortex, bypassing the thalamus? I do not
>mean aminergic modulatory pathways from the reticular formation or cholinergic
>from brainstem etc. Only sensory channels to the neocortex (for info processing)
>I have heard about the ventral polysynaptic tract but I have no more info on it.

>Iva Reichova

I tried email but the message bounced.

On page 335 of PRINCIPALS OF NEURAL SCIENCE 3rd ed by Kandel,
Schwartz, and Jessell it says: "The only exception [to sensory systems
passing through the thalamus on the way to the cortex] is the
olfactory system, which transmits sensory information from the
periphery directly to the primitive cortex of the medial temporal
lobe."

I hope this is helpful.

--
John E. Anderson			1 Bungtown Road
Beckman Neuroscience Center		Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724-2220