FE Mesh from MRI Data

George Foutrakis georgef at server1.neuronet.pitt.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:44:48 EST 1994

I am doing a finite element simulation of pulsatile blood flow in the
cerebral arteries. I'm interested in automatically converting MRI data
into a 3-D finite element mesh in order to obtain real vascular geometries.
Does anyone have any experience or advice about such an undertaking ?

In theory, it seems as if this should be fairly straightforward.
After volume rendering of the MRI data, the image in represented by a
collection of voxels (3-D pixels, so to speak).  Each and every voxel has
its own unique location in the spatial domain, with the exact locations of
its vertices known. Therefore, it should be relatively easy to convert
the spatial coordinates of the voxel vertices to nodes in a finite element
mesh.

I'm hoping that there is someone out there with some knowledge of this.

Thank you,

George Foutrakis
University of Pittsburgh
Department of Neurological Surgery