Crick's New Book

Gregory P. Riddick gr3k at Virginia.EDU
Sun Feb 13 19:21:05 EST 1994

Not to be too heretical here, but do most neuroscientists
accept the fact that we will be able to ultimately reduce
consciousness to biology?  It seems to me that this belief
would be philosophically rather than scientifically grounded.
Perhaps to desire to understand the true basis of consciousness
is as futile as the desire to understand the true basis of
gravity.  We can describe how gravity works very nicely, and
someday may even have a quantum theory to explain it.  But no
one can say how force can really act at a distance.
   Some philosophers suggest that we should also consider
consciousness as a "fundamental force" of the universe.
Scientists will one day be able to explain just how it works as
a physical system.  I would argue, however, that it still takes
a leap of faith (scientific, philosophical , or religious ) to
accept that this physical system can evoke an awareness of the
surrounding world.