Crick's New Book

David Doshay doshay at neuron.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 17 13:47:00 EST 1994

Gregory Riddick writes:
	> it still takes a leap of faith (scientific, philosophical , or
	> religious ) to accept that this physical system can evoke an
	> awareness of the surrounding world.

I have no trouble making the "leap of faith" that my physical system has
an awareness of the surrounding of the physical world. That you ask the
question and read the answer indicates that you have no problem with some
level of awareness yourself.

I just saw Crick give a talk on the subject last week in Berkeley. His talk
was not anywhere near the extreme things I have been reading in the press.

The talk was given to a group of neurobiologists, and his main point was that
we now have the tools and techniques required to investigate the hypothesis
that our conciousness is purely neural in origin. He discussed evidence, which
he admitted was not conclusive, that there may be a good deal of truth to the
hypothesis. His experiments are very much like the ones done to investigate
visual perception. I will not go into all his reasoning that these experiments
are a good start.

David
David		doshay at soma.arc.nasa.gov