TIF images (sections) to 3-D?

Jerry Clayton claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
Fri Feb 18 03:02:52 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb7.212126.870 at earlham.edu> , koprivu at earlham.edu writes:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering whether anyone could answer this question for me. I am
> interested in making digital 3-D models ofvarious nuclei in the rat
> brain, and I have sections of the brain digitized in TIFF format.  What
> software (shareware or not) would be able to do this for me?  What would
> the steps be?
>
> Also I would be gratefull to anyone pointing me to a
newsgroup/conference
> dealing specifically with neural imaging.
>
> Feel free to email: KOPRIVU at EARLHAM.EDU

There is a software program called "IMAGE" that was developed by Wayne
Rasband at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) that may be of use to
you.  While the program is not a "3D" only piece of software it does
have the capability to create 3D images from a series of TIFF images
givn the section thickness etc..  It is also FREE!  It is actually a
very good program that has macro capability as well as the ability to
incorporate new original code (pascal) into its structure for
customizing.  I've used it a fair amount for other things and can
vouch for its completeness and ease of use.  It can be downloaded on
the internet via anonymous FTP at zippy.nimh.nih.gov (128.231.98.32)
in the /pub/nih-image directory (current version=nih-image152.hqx).
Source is also available there.  Try it out, I think you'll enjoy it.
Drop me a line if I can be of any further help.

Jerry Clayton:		claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
(Univ. of Colo. Health Sci. Center; Denver, Colorado)