glycolytic enzymes affecting nervous system

Jennifer E Klenz jklenz at titan.ucs.umass.edu
Thu Feb 17 19:27:08 EST 1994

Does anyone know of any examples of enzymes involved in glycolysis
that somehow also seem to affect the nervous system? My lab looks for
genes involved in making the adult nervous system of Drosophila. We have
a mutant which has some axon projection defects and a behavioural
phenotype as well. We have sequenced this gene and it is dihydrolipoamide
acetyl transferase, a component of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex
in glycolysis. We recently talked to another lab which has found certain
glycolytic enzymes affecting a reflex response they study in Aplysia.

In the literature I have found one other such result in Drosophila and I
have read about Leber's Optic Neurodegenerative Disease. That disease results
from mutations in several different mitochondrial genes. It seems that if
the overall ATP produced by the mitochondria falls below a certain threshold
the optic nerve will degenerate.

Does anyone know of any other cases of glycolytic/mitochondrial proteins
which exert an effect on the nervous system???

Jennifer Klenz
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology
Morrill Science Center
University of Massachusetts at Amherst

klenz at bio.umass.edu