Crick's New Book

Eric Wassermann ewass at helix.nih.gov
Fri Feb 18 15:18:51 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb14.002105.18230 at Virginia.EDU>, gr3k at Virginia.EDU
(Gregory P. Riddick) wrote:

>  I would argue, however, that it still takes
> a leap of faith (scientific, philosophical , or religious ) to
> accept that this physical system can evoke an awareness of the
> surrounding world.

I would argue (as if anyone cared) that the existence of consciousness is
itself questionable and not subject to scientific disproof.  I suspect that
our awareness of our own mental processes, let alone the universe, is
highly selective, state-dependent and generally dim.  The concept seems at
best to be heuristic and at worst (or maybe not so worst) delusory.

                                      As far as I know,
Eric Wassermann                       The opinions expressed are not
Human Motor Control Section           those of the Federal Government,
NINDS, NIH                            the U.S. Public Health Service
                                      or the National Institutes of Health