Spike-accomodation in the hippocampus

bruce raoul parnas brp at neuron.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 21 16:21:54 EST 1994

In article <2k61tf$p90 at news.u.washington.edu>, wcalvin at u.washington.edu (William Calvin) writes:
|> kisley at spot.Colorado.EDU (Michael Kisley) writes:
|>
|> >I am seeking references regarding spike-accomodation in pyramidal cells
|> >(or any other cell types) in the hippocampal formation.  I am primarily
|> >speaking of the tendency for decreased spiking response to non-novel
|> >stimulation.  Nevertheless, I'd likely be interested in looking at any paper
|>
|> What you are looking for is generally called "adaptation" in spiking;
|> "accommodation" is generally reserved for threshold changes to a slow
|> depolarization.

Actually, the tendency to "ignore" non-novel stimuli can also be a form
of accommodation since it can occur as a function of threshold modification.

See;

AV Hill (1936) Excitation and Accommodation in Nerve. Proc. Royal Soc.
London, B, 119:305:355

and some variation on the theme to include spiking behavior:

BR Parnas and ER Lewis (1993) A computationally efficient spike initiator
model that produces a wide variety of neural responses, in FH Eeckman, ed.
Neural Systems: Analysis and Modeling, Kluwer Academic Press, Norwell, Ma,
pp. 67-76.

-----
brp
dr bruce parnas
brp at psychomo.arc.nasa.gov
/usr/local/Std.Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed here are mine and
not those of NASA, but you probably could have guessed that.

It's not my fault.  Not all of us here at NASA are Rocket Scientists