Spike-accomodation in the hippocampus

Michael Kisley kisley at spot.Colorado.EDU
Mon Feb 21 15:33:59 EST 1994

wcalvin at u.washington.edu (William Calvin) writes:

>What you are looking for is generally called "adaptation" in spiking;
>"accommodation" is generally reserved for threshold changes to a slow
>depolarization.

In response, I have two comments:

First of all, I have seen no such
clear demarcation between "accomodation" and "adaptation" in the
literature.  Guyton's "Textbook of Medical Physiology" does seem to favor
your categorization, but the problem is this:  It seems to me that when
people speak of "adaptation" they are usually using it to describe
primary sensory receptors (ie. somatosensory and olfactory receptors)
rather than, say, cortical pyramidal cells.  It is clear from the responses
I received to this post that many researchers refer to decreased spiking
in the hippocampus as accomodation.

Secondly, I have seen no other attempt to explain "adaptation" by any other
mechanism than exactly your definition of "accomodation" (which is the
change of threshold due to depolarization).  In other words, as far as I
know, the slow rise in threshold due to depolarization is exactly
what causes spiking to decrease and eventually cease during a non-novel
stimulus.  Therefore, accomodation of threshold is precisely what
produces accomodation of spiking (or adaptation by your definition).
Given this, I see no reason not to refer to "adaptation" as "accomodation
of spiking".

Michael Kisley
kisley at spot.colorado.edu