Spike-accomodation/habituation-like processes

anderson at WALT.CCS.FAU.EDU anderson at WALT.CCS.FAU.EDU
Mon Feb 21 19:17:47 EST 1994

>>What you are looking for is generally called "adaptation" in spiking;
>>"accommodation" is generally reserved for threshold changes to a slow
>>depolarization.

>In response, I have two comments:

>First of all, I have seen no such
>clear demarcation between "accomodation" and "adaptation" in the
>literature....Therefore, accomodation of threshold is precisely what
>produces accomodation of spiking (or adaptation by your definition).
>Given this, I see no reason not to refer to "adaptation" as "accomodation
>of spiking".

Everyone seems to have overlooked one interesting aspect of "accomodation"
and "adaptation" in the rush to define them.  That is they are in essence
habituation-like processes.  They represent a common dynamic behavioral
process that is recurrent on many levels of organization in organisms from
desensitization in receptors to habituation of orienting responses.  Dr. Arnold
Mandell has written an extensive review of the subject.

Mandell, Arnold J. (1986) Toward a neuropsychopharmacology of habituation:
a vertical integration, Mathematical Modelling 7:809-888.

Carl M. Anderson
Center for Complex Systems
Florida Atlantic University