Spike-accomodation in the hippocampus

James L. Olds olds at helix.nih.gov
Tue Feb 22 09:24:40 EST 1994

Michael Kisley writes :

>First of all, I have seen no such
>clear demarcation between "accomodation" and "adaptation" in the
>literature.  Guyton's "Textbook of Medical Physiology" does seem to favor
>your categorization, but the problem is this:  It seems to me that when
>people speak of "adaptation" they are usually using it to describe
>primary sensory receptors (ie. somatosensory and olfactory receptors)
>rather than, say, cortical pyramidal cells.  It is clear from the responses
>I received to this post that many researchers refer to decreased spiking
>in the hippocampus as accomodation.
>
>Secondly, I have seen no other attempt to explain "adaptation" by any other
>mechanism than exactly your definition of "accomodation" (which is the
>change of threshold due to depolarization).  In other words, as far as I
>know, the slow rise in threshold due to depolarization is exactly
>what causes spiking to decrease and eventually cease during a non-novel
>stimulus.  Therefore, accomodation of threshold is precisely what
>produces accomodation of spiking (or adaptation by your definition).
>Given this, I see no reason not to refer to "adaptation" as "accomodation
>of spiking".
>
>Michael Kisley
>kisley at spot.colorado.edu

I completely agree with what he says. Certainly, that has been my reading
of the literature and has served as the starting point for my collaborations
with Juan V. Sanchez in Spain (Gated Informational Transfer Within
the Mammalian Hippocampus: A new hypothesis. Behav. Brain Res. (1993)
54: 111-116.
Jim Olds;internet: olds at mbl.edu
Laboratory of Adaptive Systems, NINDS, NIH
Room B316A Building 36 NIH Bethesda MD. 20892 USA
Telephone: +1 301 402 6079 FAX:+1 301 402-0117