mouse neural development

Robert B. Darnell darnelr at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Sat Feb 26 12:41:38 EST 1994

Hello--

Can anyone refer me to a useful pictorial atlas of mouse (or rat ?)
developmental
neurobiology.  We are doing in situ hybridization and immunohistochemical
analysis of a
number of neuron specific genes that show specific expression patterns in
the developing
mouse nervous system.  The atlases I am currently looking at are
insufficiently detailed to
allow me to figure out precisely which neurons/groups are staining--they
are

The Atlas of Mouse Development, by M.H. Kaufman (1992, Academic Press)
Atlas of the Prenatal Mouse Brain, by Schambra et al (1992, Academic
Press).

The latter deals specifically with the developing nervous system, but has
a remarkable lack
of detail (e.g.the nominal pontine and brainstem features pointed out in
GD 18, HOR. 5,
pp 314-5).  An atlas of the human brain with finer detail (better
picutres) seems to be
DeArmonds Structure of the Human Brain--is there perhaps a similar mouse
atlas?

A priori. thanks.

Dr. Robert B. Darnell
Assistant Professor and Head of Laboratory
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue
New York, NY  10021-6399