hydrocephalus & IQ

Leslie Kay lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:20:15 EST 1994

In article <EDSTROM.94Jan5093559 at elmer.hsc.ucalgary.ca>,
John Edstrom <edstrom at elmer.hsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>I remember having read an article in Science, I think, around 1987
>concerning a study of people who had had hydrocephalus while young but
>who seemd to have recovered and lived apparently normal lives but
>then, with CAT scans many years later, it was found that a large
>proportion of their cerebral hemisphers was missing despite their
>normal intelligence.

I saw this in a class I was TAing.  They reported on it in the
PBS series on the Brain (10 part series or something like that).
THey reported on a woman who had normal or high intelligence even
though all her "processing" or activity was done in a very small
part of her brain, part of the occipital lobe, I think.  I don't
remember the citation or the names of researchers, but maybe
someone else does.  THis presents an interesting point, however,
if brain mapping and compartmentalization of function does
mean anything, how can these people function normally?  It seems
to poke holes in these theories.

Leslie Kay
lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu