Circuitry of time perception?

Eric Wassermann ewass at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jan 10 16:55:03 EST 1994

In article <2gf26k$7kv at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Steven Roy Daviss
<sdaviss at cosy.ab.umd.edu> wrote:

> At our journal club on Monday, while discussing an article which used
> response time as a dependent measure, the question was raised:
>
> 	Is anything known about the neural circuitry involved in the
> 	estimation or perception of time?
>
> A related question, or perhaps partial reply, involves my (dim)
> recollection of reading about an experiment where subjects were placed in
> different sized rooms and asked to estimate the passing of 5 minutes in
> time.  The was a relationship to the size of the room and the direction of
> error in time estimation (though I don't recall which way it went).
>
> Can anyone shed light on this topic?
>
> 	-Steve
I know of two papers showing deficits in time perception in
cerebellar-lesioned patients one is by Steve Kiel (Keel? other?) in the
recent past and one is in press in Brain by Grill, Hallett and others.
                                      As far as I know,
Eric Wassermann                       The opinions expressed are not
Human Motor Control Section           those of the Federal Government,
NINDS, NIH                            the U.S. Public Health Service
                                      or the National Institutes of Health