Subcellular localization in the brain

Jerry Clayton claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
Sat Jan 8 21:38:30 EST 1994

> From: reenila at cc.helsinki.fi
> Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
> Subject: Subcellular localization in the brain
> Date: 7 Jan 94 13:58:21 EET
>

> I am interested in protein localization studies concerning the rat
brain and I
> am looking for the information about subcellular distribution of rat
striatal
> tissue.
>
> In the litterature there are several proteins which have been used as
markers of
> different cells and organelles. Also, some enzyme activities are
enriched in
> different organelles when the tissue is homogenized and fractionated by
> centrifugation.
>
> I would be glad, if anyone could give suggestions of certain markers (or
> references to them) concerning the striatal tissue. As in the other
parts of
> the brain, there are many types of cells including different types of
neurons.
> Maybe some enzymes for the metabolism of the neurotransmitters are
suitable for
> this kind of localization studies. What is Your opinion?

Ilkka,
As you say there are many cell types in the striatum of the rat and
markers
for them abound.  It would be helpful to know what it is you wish to look
at in
the striatum.  If you wish to look at non-neuronal elements GFAP for
astroglia and
OX42 for microglia are excellent candidates for immunocytochemistry.
Both are
available commercially.  Classically neurotransmitter enzymes have been
used
to identify the different phenotypes of neurons residing within the
striatum.  There is a large literature that indicates co-localization of
neurotransmitters within some neurons of the striatum.  Cholinergic
interneurons and
GAGAergic output neurons are the most commonly discussed and these have
been found to
contain a number of neuropeptides as well (CCK, enekephalin, etc.).
Afferent fiber
input to the striatum is a different matter altogether.  The classic
dopamine input
from the SN/VTA (identified often by tyrosine hydroxylase icc) and the
glutaminergic
input from the cortex are two of the major inputs to this structure.
Also, this area
produces growth factors which are of major interest in the neuroscience
community
these days (aFGG & bFGF are evident and there is a new one that appears
to be very
specific that was published in Science this past summer I believe).  All
of these are
possibilities for identifying different cell populations within the
striatum.  I'd be
happy to discuss this at greater length but without knowing where you are
headed with
your reasearch....?   If you or anybody else would like to pick up on
this topic I'd
be glad to chat.  I can also dig up more specific references if anyone is
interested.

Feel free to contact me at my e-mail address and I'll try to look into
this
newsgroup regularly (this is the first time I've noticed it, this is a
great idea!).

Jerry Clayton							claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
(Univ. of Colo. Health Sci. Center)
(Denver, Colorado)