Asyncronous neuron models?

Stefan Engstrom stefan at helios.UCSC.EDU
Wed Jan 26 18:23:06 EST 1994

Is there a fundamental difference in neuron models that are
asynchronous as opposed to e.g. neural network models which
are more or less synchronized by a (central) clock?

The phenomenon that prompted me to think about this is epilepsy:
as I understand it, an EEG of a person going into an attack of
epilepsy will exhibit increasingly synchronized electrical brain
activity. This suggests that synchronous behavior may be dangerous
if one runs into some amplified feedback loop.

--
     /