Rough ER vs Smooth ER

James Olds olds at helix.nih.gov
Sun Jan 30 08:53:53 EST 1994

Hi...I wanted to get the net wisdom on the question of what
functionally differentiates the rough ER from the smooth ER
in cells (like neurons). Specifically, does the whole ER together
store Ca++?  I learned not, but I'd like to understand why. Also, what
keeps rough ER apparatus (like polysomes) in place, why don't they
drift across their  2-dim  fluid mosaic to the smooth ER. Following on
that, do you think IP3 receptors ever see rough ER?

Thanks for any  answers that you may have. I'd also be interested in
some decent refs.
Cheers,
Jim Olds;internet: olds at mbl.edu
Laboratory of Adaptive Systems, NINDS, NIH
Room B316A Building 36 NIH Bethesda MD. 20892 USA
Telephone: +1 301 402 6079 FAX:+1 301 402-0117