Mandelbrot set & Platonic mathematics

Peter Johansson peter at cs.umbc.edu
Sun Jan 30 19:21:29 EST 1994

M.R.Watkins <mrw at ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

> There's a second, almost-related question that seems worth asking:  people in
> altered states of consciousness often report "seeing" fractal-like images
> behind their closed eyelids ...

Wait a minute here.  I often see fractal images in my unaltered states
of consciousness.  And I don't necessarily see them with my eyes
closed either.  Often times, observing fractal geometries in nature, a
tree without it's leaves, for instance, can lead to a transformation
into other geometries as well.  Of course, it could be argued that I
live in a continuous state of altered consciousness to begin with.

Peter Johansson
peter at cs.umbc.edu