Info wanted on biomechanics and neural processes

A A
Sun Jan 30 17:18:33 EST 1994

In article <2ifjeo$d04 at news.u.washington.edu> meir at zoology.washington.edu (Eli Meir) writes:
>    Does anyone out there know of references for experimental or
>theoretical work done on the effects of stress and strain on neuronal
>processes.  I mean stress and strain in the biomechanical sense (ie -
>getting pulled and pushed around), and I'm not interested in stress
>activated channels, unless all channels are stress-activated - I'm
>interested in normal, everyday axons and dendrites, and what happens to
>their electrical properties when they get stretched or twisted.  Any
>info would be appreciated.

How is it possible to study the effects of mechanical stress on the
electrical properties of neuronal processes without considering
stretch-sensitive ion channels?  Is there another stretch-sensitive
mechanism which does not involve ionic currents?

Tony Brazelton
Neuronal Pattern Analysis Group, Beckman Institute