need Ca and K refs

gsox at med.unc.edu gsox at med.unc.edu
Fri Jul 1 08:43:04 EST 1994

In article <2uvk4b$rap at quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca> jeasaw at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Jacob Easaw) writes:
>Can someone suggest some good calcium and potassium channel references
>for me.  I am interested in their physiology and modulation in neurons.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jay

There are now a very large number of references that fall into this
category dating from the late 70's on.  My suggestion for "beginning"
your reading would be to get a copy of Bertil Hille's book (second
edition) titled, "Ionic Channels of Excitable Membranes" (Sinauer
Associates).  This a very readable yet concentrated source of information
on ion channel physiology (and to a lesser extent modulation) in general.
The references in the book are solid and well chosen and can provide a
number of good starting places in the original literature.

Another book to focus more on modulation would be...

Kaczmarek, L.K. and Levitan, I.B. (eds.)  Neuromodulation: The Biochemical
Control of Neuronal Excitability.  Oxford University Press.  1987.