Modulation of Neuronal Output

HARRY R. ERWIN herwin at mason1.gmu.edu
Wed Jul 6 08:16:37 EST 1994

There is a slowly developing consensus that semantics in the brain is
carried in the synchronization of pulse trains, whose amplitude reflect
local levels of activation. This may be at the level of individual cells
or neural masses. Walter Freeman has a partial model of how this can
occur at the level of neural masses--sparse nerve cell assemblies (NCAs,
my 'activation networks') when suitably activated enter a second mode
dynamic (periodic in isolation, chaotic when interactive) that modulates
the local level of activation. The difficulty with this model is that
the modulation has to be multiplicative; if it is additive, the second
mode dynamics swamp the local activation level or viceversa. Has anyone
identified a mechanism for multiplicative interaction between neurons or
neural masses? Is stochastic resonance a candidate?

Please note that I may have garbled Freeman's model.

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: herwin at gmu.edu
Just a dumb engineer working on Katchalsky nets....